The title of Hair Professional can encompass two possible streams, both with their different practices and requirements: Hairdresser and Barber. Hairdressers need to be versatile and be able to jump between male and female clientele. Hair Professional apprentices will be able to shampoo and condition hair, cut hair using a range of techniques, style and finish hair to create a variety of looks and colour and lighten hair. Barbers, by contrast, are more specialised and tend to service only men. Barbers will be able to shampoo and condition hair, cut hair using barbering techniques, style and finish hair, cut facial hair into shape and provide shaving services for men.
Both hairdressers and barbers must have an intimate knowledge of hair types – from wispy and straight to thick and very curly – and be able to instantly work with a diverse set of hairstyles on demand. Perhaps most importantly, they should be able to communicate with clients to ensure they address their particular needs, demonstrate professionalism and values consistent with the profession and position and be able to work without supervision to a high level of precision.
End-Point Assessment Components (Hairdressing)
- Practical Assessments (Cut hair using a range of techniques, Style and finish hair, Colour and lighten hair using a range of techniques)
- Oral Questioning (Cut hair using a range of techniques, Style and finish hair, Colour and lighten hair using a range of techniques)
End-Point Assessment Components (Barbering)
- Practical Assessments (Cut hair using a range of techniques, Style and finish men’s hair, Colour facial hair into shape, Shaving services)
- Oral Questioning (Cut hair using a range of techniques, Style and finish men’s hair, Colour facial hair into shape, Shaving services)
If you would like to learn more about the Hair Professional apprenticeship standard, check out our factsheets page or alternatively you can find more information via the Institute for Apprenticeships website.
- Level 2 Diploma for Hair Professionals (Hairdressing) (RQF)
- Level 2 Diploma for Hair Professionals (Barbering) (RQF)
- Level 1 Award in Functional Skills English (Attempted Level 2 Award in Functional Skills English)
- Level 1 Award in Functional Skills Mathematics (Attempted Level 2 Award in Functional Skills Mathematics)
- Payable at registration: £87 (25%)*
- Payable at Gateway: £263 (75%)**
*25% registration fee is transferrable to a new registration should an apprentice withdraw from the apprenticeship. Upon receipt apprentices, employers and training providers will gain access to the TQUK EPA management suite, our end-point assessment information packs, mock examinations, study tips, revision guides, training logs and self-assessment forms.
**75% fee paid at gateway in non-refundable as we anticipate that once the apprentice has passed through gateway they will be ready to undertake the end-point assessment elements. If the 75% payable upon gateway is not paid within 30 days of invoice we, as the EPAO, will put a hold on any end-point assessment activities being undertaken and any certification processes.
Training Qualifications UK offers one free re-sit per multiple-choice test where included within a standard. Element assessments re-sits will be charged per assessment and standard